- Proficient knowledge of the maintenance and calibration of HPLC, NIR, GC, IR, IC, and routine benchtop testing instruments.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve process issues involving fermentation.
- Ability to develop and maintain standard operating procedures.
- Ability to analyze data through statistical analysis and utilize data results to make process decisions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be detail oriented and analytically driven
- Possess logical problem solving ability
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent safety awareness and attitude
- Excellent housekeeping and sanitation habits
- Ability to train others on process changes, laboratory procedures and SOPs.
- BS in Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology or experience in related fields
- Experience managing a laboratory is preferred.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Manage all aspects of a Quality Lab.
- Responsible for product quality and process fermentation.
- Provide oversight and direction for all testing required for operations.
- Monitor fermentation and process analysis through data analysis and adjust process parameters to maximize efficiency and yield.
- Monitor corn oil production through data analysis, and responsible for all plant process adjustments to maximize production.
- Responsible for the Quality System and that all COAs adheres to ASTM ethanol guidelines.
- Collaborate with operations and management on research and development opportunities and provide both laboratory scale trials and plant scale trials.
- Utilize data analysis results to maximize efficiency of plant operations.
- Provide maintenance and troubleshoot issues related to all laboratory equipment.
- Work with operations on special testing that is required.
- Provide verification testing of in-process and finished goods from production processes.
- Interface with production personnel to provide operator training and verification.
- Establish testing protocols and ensure that test results are repeatable and accurate.
- Responsible for the oversight of all lab work.
- Maintain a safe and clean laboratory working environment that provides accurate and precise results for all testing performed.
- Complete any and all tasks as assigned by the Plant Manager.
- Responsible for ordering laboratory supplies.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of research, testing and data documentation for experimental trials of new ingredients and processes to improve output and/or efficiencies of the plant
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: Lab Techs
POSITION REPORTS TO: Plant Manager
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, however hearing protection is recommended is some areas of the plant. Hard hat, safety glasses, and leather gloves are required in designated areas.